19.11.07

Elgar . Rostropovich

Some time ago I tried to find a recording of Rostropovich playing Elgar Cello Concerto but I couldn't find it. I always thought that he didn't record this concerto until my cellist friend borrowed the CD to me this morning.

Literally, I was a bit disappointed with Rostropovich's recording. I don't mean that his playing was not good but I just felt a bit weird when listening to it. As I am not up to the standard to criticise Rostropovich's playing, so I would just say that I don't like his style. Perhaps this concerto is not suitable for Rostropovich to play.

It is good to hear different cellist's playings. However, I definitely won't recommend Rostropovich for Elgar Cello Concerto. Du Pre is still my first choice.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Du Pre 的 Elgar Cello Concerto 演奏也是我的首選,直至現在還未覺有人能出其右!

Andy said...

I am not aware that Rostropovitch has recorded Elgar!

Du Pre seems to be the best so far. I would agree with you.

Silence said...

Shek:
True. I was told that Elgar was not Du Pre's favourite concerto but she played it so well.

Andy:
It was a huge surprise to me when I saw the CD. I do think that this piece doesn't suit Rostropovich.

Anonymous said...

請問那一首大提琴協奏曲才是Du Pre的至愛呢?

Silence said...

Shek:
Sorry that I don't know the answer but that's an interesting question. I'll find a chance to ask my cellists friends.