13.1.08

Orientation (1)

First post in 2008.

I can hardly believe that I have been in the USA for one week already. The semester break still hasn't ended and school will start on next thursday. We had orientation programmes for the past few days. Before I went to the USA, I always thought that the orientation programmes in the USA universities are very crazy. However, when I attended the orientation at my school, I found that it was not too bad. We had lots of things to do every day and they were not very exciting.

There were many students from China. Probably more than 1/3 of the orientation participants were Chinese students. I could hear Mandarin all the time. On the first two days, I felt quite happy to meet so many Chinese students. However, later time, I got to feel a bit annoyed because they didn't talk in English at all. The main reason was that their English standard was lower than other international students. They preferred making friends with students from their own country and of course, they communicated in Mandarin. I found that my Mandarin has improved a lot, but not my English. It was really ridiculous. Sometimes, the mainland students didn't understand what the speaker said and they asked me to translate for them. I never thought that I had a chance to be my mainland friends' "interpreter". That was another type of language exercise for me.

4 comments:

Andy said...

This is interesting! But please remember what you are here for - to experience a different culture and improving your English is probably more important than improving your Mandarin!

Enjoy your stay in the US and I hope you will learn a lot in the next few years.

Anonymous said...

同意andy所言,於音樂學習的過程中拓展你的國際視野才是最重要,作你內地同學們的翻譯有否對你課堂上聽講的精神集中構成影響呢?若有影響,提議你還是先專心上課,待課堂完結後才給他們講解一次吧!
希望你可以盡快適應當地學校的生活,祝你學業進步!

暗黑的卡夫卡 said...

I have the same experience before, and I can assure you that your Mandarin will be MUCH better than those in HK after you're done here! =)

You should try to see the living pattern of the "Americans" there and make friends in those environment as well (eg, pub, club, etc)

Its ok to learn how to make some nice shanghai/any Chinese local dumplings at your classmates' apartment, but its also important to learn the culture here...

oh...Happy New Year and Good Luck! =)

Anonymous said...

是的,去到外國當然要爭取機會認識當地同學入鄉隨俗,這樣才能繼續提升閣下的英語水平呢~ Happy New Year!