20.1.08

New school life

School started on thursday and I moved into the dorm the night before.

I live in a double room and my roomate is an American girl. I can't say whether I like her or not because our communication is almost none. She rarely stays in her room. I have lived in the dorm for three days already but every night I slept alone. She always goes out late and she just chooses not to come back if her friends don't give her a ride. To be honest, I prefer not seeing her in the room. My roomate has a television and she loves to turn up the volume. It is annoying to me as I am very sensitive to loud sound. Even when we are both in our room, we don't talk to each other. Our conversations are only limited to "hi" and "bye". If she doesn't make any noise, I may forget about her presence. I have heard of many cases of roomate problems before. Yet, for my case, we have no arguments because we just don't chat.

Living in dorm is acceptable. The food is edible and I manage to eat much food every meal. However, my dorm is a private one and everyone knows that it is a "party dorm". My room is located opposite to the elevator and it is very noisy. I can hear people shouting or banging the door in the middle of the night.

I still haven't ompletely adjusted to the American English. For the past two days, I was lost during classes sometimes, especially I came to school in the spring semester which was the middle of a school year. I felt upset on the first day of classes because I didn't know anyone in the class and I couldn't seek for any help. Fortunately, on the second day, I met some a few freshmen and schoolmates and they were very nice and helpful. And I started to enjoy my school life in university.

5 comments:

Andy said...

Don't worry. It does take a while for you to settle down and get used to the English. I am glad that you are already enjoying university life!

Anonymous said...

我也很高興知道你已開始享受你的大學生活,或者你可跟那位室友主動打招呼吧,對她熱情一點也許對你們之間的溝通會有所幫助,相信漸漸你倆便可熟絡起來了!

Anonymous said...

I think it is very uncomfortable to have a person living with you in the same doom but you don't chat. Do you feel happy with this? To me, I can't bear this and I must find a way to make our relationship better. But the most important thing is you feel comfortable.

Silence said...

Silence:
Thank you very much for visiting, 孱仔. I tried to talk to her more but every time she just didn't want to reply me. That made the atmosphere very awkward. I have given up to start a conversation.

Ruth Tam said...

I would be more comfortable if I stay with someone who don't talk much, especially when I am tired. I can't bear people keep talking and talking.